Jordi Labs, a technology company specialized in analytical testing, is seeking a hard working, honest and dedicated individual for a GCMS Chemist position.
Reports Preparation- Prepare technical reports summarizing findings related to mass spectroscopy (GCMS, PYMS) and chromatography methods (HPLC, GC). Supplementary information will also be added to the reports using techniques such as FTIR, DSC, TGA, PIXE, NMR and wet chemistry methods. Qualitative data interpretation would include utilizing mass spectroscopy, FTIR and NMR to identify unknown chemical compounds. Quantitative analysis would include preparation of calibration curves and determination of percent composition using GCMS and HPLC results. Excellent writing skills and good communication skills are essential. Strong knowledge in mass spectroscopy and chromatography is required with additional knowledge in secondary techniques appreciated. Experience using GCMS, GC-FID, GC-QQQ, GC-QToF, Headspace GCMS, and PYMS is desired.
Designing Analyses – This position includes designing and implementing analytical strategies to help resolve complex, real world analytical problems including material failures, deformulations and quantitations. The candidate would be expected to contribute within a team of scientists to help identify the best analytical strategies to solve real world chemical problems. The desire and the drive to learn new techniques and to increase ones own interpretation skills through reviewing the literature and on the job training is a must.
Performing Analysis – The position would include performing Gas Chromatography mass spectroscopy or other chromatographic analyses including overseeing method development and performing existing methods. This often requires development of an appropriate sample extraction method to purify the component of interest from a complex matrix prior to analysis. Purification often requires combining a series of methods such as solid phase extraction (SPE), liquid liquid extraction (LLE), flash chromatography, precipitation or distillation. The candidate would design and potentially implement the purification strategy or work with other staff to implement the strategy.
Discussing Results – The right candidate would be skilled at discussing analytical data and would be able to communicate in simple terms the results from a series of analytical tests. This would include helping other team members with interpretation as well as discussing results with customers.
- Prepare technical reports.
- Interpret MS data results with a high level of proficiency.
- Combine results to identify unknown chemical components.
- Quantitate chemical components using GCMS results.
- Work with a team of scientists to design and implement analytical strategies.
- Perform or oversee complex analytical strategies with an emphasis on MS and chromatography.
- Discuss results with co-workers and clients.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At minimum a bachelors or masters degree in chemistry is required.
- 3+ year’s current industry experience in MS and Chromatography.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a requirement.
- Proficiency with computer office tools (Word, Excel, Outlook, and scientific databases, etc.) is required.
- Ability to maintain neat and orderly laboratory notebook in detail for permanent company record is required.
- Experience with Agilent instruments including Chemstation is preferred.
Jordi offers an attractive salary with an excellent benefits package.