Reports Preparation- Prepare technical reports summarizing findings related to mass spectroscopy (LCMS, GCMS, PYMSD) and chromatography methods (HPLC, GC). Supplementary information will also be added to the reports using techniques such as FTIR, DSC, TGA, PIXE, NMR and wet chemistry methods. Qualitative data interpretation would include utilizing mass spectroscopy, FTIR and NMR to identify unknown chemical compounds. Quantitative analysis would include preparation of calibration curves and determination of percent composition using GCMS, LCMS and HPLC results. Excellent writing skills and good communication skills are essential. Strong knowledge in mass spectroscopy and chromatography is required with additional knowledge in secondary techniques appreciated.
Designing Analyses – This position includes designing and implementing analytical strategies to help resolve complex, real world analytical problems including material failures, deformulations and quantitations. The candidate would be expected to contribute within a team of scientists to help identify the best analytical strategies to solve real world chemical problems. The desire and the drive to learn new techniques and to increase ones own interpretation skills through reviewing literature and on-the-job training is a must.
Performing Analysis – The position would include the opportunity to direct or perform mass spectroscopy or chromatographic analyses including overseeing method development and performing existing methods. This often requires development of an appropriate sample extraction method to purify the component of interest from a complex matrix prior to analysis. Purification often requires combining a series of methods such as solid phase extraction (SPE), liquid liquid extraction (LLE), flash chromatography, precipitation or distillation. The candidate would design and work with other staff to implement the strategy.
Discussing Results – The right candidate would be skilled at discussing analytical data and would be able to communicate in simple terms the results from a series of analytical tests. This would include helping other team members with interpretation as well as discussing results with customers.
- Prepare technical reports
- Interpret MS data including LCMS and GCMS results with a high level of proficiency
- Interpret chromatographic data including HPLC and GC with high level of proficiency
- Combine results to identify unknown chemical components
- Quantitate chemical components using HPLC and GC results
- Work with a team of scientists to design and implement analytical strategies
- Perform or oversee complex analytical strategies with an emphasis on MS and chromatography
- Discuss results with co-workers and clients
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A masters degree or PH.D. in chemistry is required
- 3+ years current industry experience in MS and Chromatography
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are a requirement
- Proficiency with computer office tools (Word, Excel, Outlook, and scientific databases, etc.) is required
- Ability to maintain neat and orderly laboratory notebook in detail for permanent company record is required
- Experience with Agilent instruments including Chemstation or Masshunter is preferred
Jordi offers an attractive salary with an excellent benefits package. If you would like the chance to expand your knowledge of materials characterization and want to be part of a growing team, please forward your resume and cover letter.